Saturday, November 12, 2011

Reading Aloud

I think the reason I'm no longer reading is that I'm always reading. What? Well, ever since my younger daughter and I started our Reading Promise, I've been reading aloud to her for at least ten minutes a day. I also teach a number of homeschool classes each week in which I am reading aloud the following books:

Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder (to my three 5th graders)
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne (to my four 9th graders)
Dear America: Hear My Sorrow by Deborah Hopkinson (to a mixed group of four)

And then there is the actual history text itself, which I read aloud from almost daily, and all of the picture books, poems, and articles that supplement our homeschool studies. When I get some time for myself at the end of the day, I'm just more likely to turn to a quick game of Scrabble on the iPod. I'm not whining; I love it all. I just realized that that is probably why I've read so very little for myself these last months.

However, I did just read one little, new book for myself. I will post it here soon. You might be able to guess the very topic that got me to carve out a little extra time. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And if we guess correctly, Christine, is there a prize?

Don said...

I recuse myself.
Too easy.

Christine said...

Mary, you already win the prize for most loyal review poster here!

Don knows the book. We only have one copy at B&N. It is brand new, quite slim, and has a black and red cover. I got my copy from the library.